Our Library at Eltham North Primary School is a place where children are the focus.
- Well-stocked with picture books, junior novels, novels, non-fiction and a variety of reference books.
- An environment where children enjoy reading.
- Children learn skills to help them make the best use of the library such as understanding the difference between picture story, fiction and non-fiction books, how they are shelved and how to find a just right book.
- Coloured charts listing non-fiction topics with matching dots on book spines to help students find non-fiction books.
- New books are available each week for the students to browse and borrow.
- Each year we welcome authors and illustrators to meet and story tell with the children so they can learn firsthand about literature and illustrations. Our Prep classes and all other classes have fun interacting with the story tellers.
- For Children’s Book Council Australia Book Week each year we have a display of all the shortlisted books up for awards. The children also have a day to dress up as their favourite book characters.
- Children are able to use the library at lunchtimes to read books, play quiet games and draw/Colour.
- We run an annual Book Fair, where we receive a good commission which we have spent by purchasing books mainly for the library with some also being spent on new literacy circle books for classroom use and new books in the science lab.
- We have displays based on Events, Public Holidays, Authors and Themes, these are changed frequently throughout the year.
Helen Skerry is our Library Technician who is on hand to support teachers and children use our valuable resources and audio visual resources.
Children area able to use the library at lunchtimes to read books, play quiet board games and access computer workstations.